Audition Materials for Bass
2023-2024, Version B
Bravura Strings is an ensemble for students who play violin, viola, cello, and bass with 1-2 years playing experience (or Suzuki grade 1-2). Orchestra members will increase musical aptitude and learn basic ensemble playing skills while rehearsing and performing in a string orchestra.
Chamber Strings is a string orchestra for students who play violin, viola, cello, and bass with 2 or more years playing (or Suzuki grade 3). Orchestra members will rehearse and perform arranged and original works for string orchestra while preparing for participation in the SEMYO Philharmonic Orchestra.
Philharmonic Orchestra is a full orchestra experience for students of all ages who play a string, woodwind, brass, or percussion instrument. String players typically need 3-4 years experience and percussion and wind players need 2 or more years playing experience.
Concert Orchestra is a full orchestra experience for advanced students on string, woodwind, brass, harp, and percussion instruments. Literature includes original masterworks for full symphony orchestra. Students will play music in all keys and utilize advanced bowing and string techniques.
- Please record all the materials specified. Please count all rests accurately. Please do not record with metronome or accompaniment for any recordings.
- Please ensure that the video files have the correct permissions for SEMYO conductors to view them.
- Submit your recordings here: https://airtable.com/shrlWn1s1LbbGArBs
- In Concert Orchestra, you are expected to be as familiar with others’ parts as your own. Recordings are provided next to each excerpt so you can listen.
- You are expected to know “how the music goes”. This includes tempo, style, and how the different parts fit together. The first rehearsal should not be the first time you’ve heard the piece.
- When it’s not clear how your part fits into the greater whole, you should use the full score to understand. If you do not know how to look at the full score, I would be more than happy to teach you. You can view the scores here:
- If you are auditioning for Bravura Strings, you do not have to record a solo.
- For everyone else, please record one solo between 1-2 minutes that best demonstrates your abilities. Solos need not be memorized.
- Choose your selection with guidance from your private teacher or orchestra/band director. If you need a suggestion on which solo to prepare, please contact us at [email protected]!
Record the following excerpt for Bravura Strings:
Excerpt from “Turbulence” by William Owens
Tempo: Brazenly! ♩ = 104
Record the following excerpt for Chamber Strings:
First, record the excerpt for Bravura Strings. Then record this one:
Excerpt from“In the Hall of the Mountain King” by Grieg (arr. Deborah Baker Monday)
Tempo: ♩ = 94
Record the following excerpt(s) for Philharmonic Orchestra:
First, record the excerpt for Chamber Strings. Then record this one:
Play the bracketed measures. You may skip the 4-measure rest that is crossed out 6 measures after letter H. Note: The title of the arrangement is published as “Dvorak’s Fifth Symphony” but it is actually Dvorak’s Ninth Symphony, so when looking for reference recordings, use Dvorak’s Ninth.
Record the following excerpt(s) for Concert Orchestra:
First, record the excerpt for Philharmonic Orchestra. Then record this one:
Excerpt: 2nd Movement from Symphony No. 5 by Tchaikovsky
Tempo starts at ♩. = 80. Follow written tempo markings. (View Recording)
Record the following scale for Bravura Strings. Suggested tempo is ♩ = 60.
Record the following scales for Chamber Strings. Suggested tempo is ♩ = 80.
Record the following scales for Philharmonic Orchestra. Suggested tempo is ♩ = 120.
Record the following scales for Concert Orchestra. Suggested tempo is ♩ = 160.