Audition Materials for Clarinet
2023-2024, Version B
Prelude Winds is an ensemble for students who play an instrument in band with 1-2 years playing experience. Participants will learn proper instrument technique, how to play together as an ensemble, and how to follow a conductor. Prelude Winds will also have opportunities to perform in an orchestral setting with SEMYO string players.
Philharmonic Orchestra is a full orchestra experience for students of all ages who play a string, woodwind, brass, or percussion instrument. String players typically need 3-4 years experience and percussion and wind players need 2 or more years playing experience.
Concert Orchestra is a full orchestra experience for advanced students on string, woodwind, brass, harp, and percussion instruments. Literature includes original masterworks for full symphony orchestra. Students will play music in all keys and utilize advanced bowing and string techniques.
- Please record all the materials specified. Please count all rests accurately. Please do not record with metronome or accompaniment for any recordings.
- Please ensure that the video files have the correct permissions for SEMYO conductors to view them.
- Submit your recordings here: https://airtable.com/shrlWn1s1LbbGArBs
- In Concert Orchestra, you are expected to be as familiar with others’ parts as your own. Recordings are provided next to each excerpt so you can listen.
- You are expected to know “how the music goes”. This includes tempo, style, and how the different parts fit together. The first rehearsal should not be the first time you’ve heard the piece.
- When it’s not clear how your part fits into the greater whole, you should use the full score to understand. If you do not know how to look at the full score, I would be more than happy to teach you. You can view the scores here:
- If you are auditioning for Prelude Winds, you do not have to record a solo.
- For everyone else, please record one solo between 1-2 minutes that best demonstrates your abilities. Solos need not be memorized.
- Choose your selection with guidance from your private teacher or orchestra/band director. If you need a suggestion on which solo to prepare, please contact us at [email protected]!
Record the following excerpt for Prelude Winds:
Excerpt for Clarinet in B♭: “Spring” from The Four Seasons by Vivaldi
Tempo: ♩ = 120
Excerpt for Bass Clarinet: “Spring” from The Four Seasons by Vivaldi
Tempo: ♩ = 120
Record the following excerpt(s) for Philharmonic Orchestra:
Play the bracketed measures starting at letter C. Note: The title of the arrangement is published as “Dvorak’s Fifth Symphony” but it is actually Dvorak’s Ninth Symphony, so when looking for reference recordings, use Dvorak’s Ninth.
Record the following excerpt(s) for Concert Orchestra:
First, record the excerpt for Philharmonic Orchestra. Then record this one:
Excerpt: 2nd Movement from Symphony No. 5 by Tchaikovsky
Tempo starts at ♩ = 100. Follow written tempo markings. (View Recording)
Note: This part is written for Clarinet in A. In Concert Orchestra, you would either perform this on a Clarinet in A or use your Clarinet in B♭ but play everything a half-step lower. For this audition, you may play it as written on your B♭ instrument without transposing.
Record the following scale for Prelude Winds. Suggested tempo is ♩ = 120
Record the following scales for Philharmonic Orchestra. Suggested tempo is ♩ = 120.
Record the following scales for Concert Orchestra. Suggested tempo is ♩ = 160.